Can You Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy?
Stretch marks are a common occurence during pregnancy. Your belly, breasts and possibly thighs and bum could change shape rapidly during pregnancy, causing your skin to stretch.
Baby needs to grow which means your body will need to change shape to accomodate her.
Our skin is a wonderful organ which grows, breathes and stretches with us. However, so many hormonal changes and fast growth during pregnancy can put its toll on our skin. It is important to look after your skin from day one of realising you are pregnant.
What Causes Stretch Marks During Pregnancy?
- Stretch marks occur within the second layer of our three layers of skin; the dermis layer.
- The rapid stretching of skin in pregnancy may cause the dermis layer to rip slightly, if it is stretched too fast, causing scarring in the tissue.
- This scarring appears as stretch marks – long thin red/pink/dark lines on the top skin layer.
How to Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
- I recommend keeping your skin supple from the day you realise you are pregnant.
- Massage your skin twice daily with plenty of oil (please be sure to check your labels as you don’t want to be putting toxins into your skin)
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin well hydrated.
- Watch the video below from Oh My Mama Body Midwife Marianne with great tips about how to care for your wellbeing and your skin during pregnancy. You can book a free call with Marianne any time by following this link
Which Healthy Oils to Use for a Confident Pregnancy
I Completely Avoided Stretch Marks
Although stretch marks could be permanent, I for one managed to keep them well in check by massaging oil into all the stretch mark prone areas of my body twice a day. From massaging so often, my skin was kept very supple and soft which I believe was a great method for preventing stretch marks.
Apply oil liberally all over your belly, boobs and hips. Get your partner to help you. I seriously recommend you use a lot of oil from the day you find out you are pregnant. I used a bottle a month. I love products that use essential oils and are vegan.